The International Union of Food Science and Technology (IUFoST), a country-membership organisation, is the global voice of food science and technology. It is the only representative for the discipline of Food Science and Technology elected into the International Council for Science (ICSU). It is a voluntary, non-profit federation of national food science organisations linking the world’s food scientists and technologists.
IUFoST promotes the advancement of global food science and technology through its education programmes, leadership opportunities, encouragement of young scientists, workshops, regional symposia, international engagement with other global bodies and through IAFoST, the International Academy of Food Science and Technology.
IUFoST fosters the worldwide exchange of scientific knowledge and ideas through the biennial World Congress, IAFoST, books, proceedings, scientific journals, an on-line journal, regular Scientific Information Bulletins, monthly News Briefs, a newsletter and social media.
IUFoST aims to strengthen food science and technology’s role in helping secure the world’s food supply and eliminate world hunger by delivering programmessuch as distance assisting training, workshops, and integrated food systems targeted to these needs.
- More than 300,000 food scientists and technologists worldwide
- Scientific expertise at the global level
- Over 75 national food organisations
- Unparalleled networking
- Professional development on a global level
- Education, leadership and training
- Regional conferences and symposia
- World Food Congress
- Scientific Information Bulletins
- Journals, books, newsletters
- International Academy of Food Science and Technology
- Regional Groups – Assocation Latinoamerica y del Caribe de Ciencia y Technologia de Alimentos (ALACCTA), European Federation of Food Science and Technology (EFFoST), The Federation of the Institutes of Food Sciences and Technology in ASEAN (FIFSTA), Western African Association of Food Science and Technology (WAAFoST), Middle East and North Africa Association of Food Science and Technology (MENAFoST)
- Special Interest / Disciplinary Groups – International Society of Food Engineering (ISFE). International Commission on Microbiological Specifications for Foods (ICMSF), International Symposium of Properties of Water (ISOPOW), International Society of Nutraceuticals and Funcational Foods (ISNFF), International Food Research Collaboration (IFRC), International Society Food Applications Nanoscale Sciences (ISFANS), Global Harmonisation Initiative (GHi)
How Does IUFoST Operate?
The General Assembly develops and controls IUFoST policies and actions. The Governing Council sets the objectives for the Term of Office and The Board implements strategies to achieve the objectives. The Scientific Council oversees the scientific standard and integrity of IUFoST activities.
IUFoST formed the International Academy of Food Science and Technology (IAFoST) to recognise individuals with outstanding leadership in food science and technology. IAFoST is a learned society composed of elected members – Fellows – from all parts of the world.
IUFoST’s Regional Groupings, EFFoST (Europe), ALACCTA (Latin America), MENAFoST (Middle East and North Africa) WAAFoST (West Africa) and FIFSTA (South East Asia) are an integral part of the organisation. Standing Committees and Disciplinary Groupings comply with the IUFoST Constitution and they are guided by the General Assembly.
For more information, see IUFoST Governance